Sunday, April 8, 2007

The Basics - Work

Let's see...I started working at Brandon University in 2004, August to be exact. I actually applied for a different position than the one I was hired for, albeit the positions were in the same departmental office. I started out in a temporary position for the purpose of taking over for a lady who was set to retire in the next few years. Sadly...the lady passed away shortly after I started due to complications with her disease and associated surgery. Nice way to get a job huh!? I worked in the position as a temporary employee until January of 2005 at which point I had to re-apply for the position, be re-interviewed, and take a typing test (which I didn't have to do the first time around). Since I am still currently working for Brandon University in the same position, I was obviously the chosen candidate for the permanent position. That day, January 17th, 2005 will go down as one of the best days of my life. The security of knowing you have a stable job inevitably creates a comforting feeling like no other. With that said I have been working in Ancillary Services for almost 3 full years now. Bet you are wondering what Ancillary Services is...lucky for you I am about to kibosh the suspence! Ancillary Services is a subordinate department of Brandon University, basically "ancillary" means "revenue generating". So I work prodominantly with all aspects of Residence life, meaning applications for accommodation, room assignments, account set up, etc. I also deal with parking services on campus, the generating of student identification cards, special conferences that require casual accommodation in our residences, and oh so much more! All in all I love my job. I work jointly with one other person in my office (she's my mom's age so it makes things interesting to say the least) and have two bosses. One sort-of "sub-boss" and one "big cahoona". All three of them are great people and a joy to work with (for the majority of the time anyway...nothing's perfect right?!) My favorite part is working with the students. Each year we get a brand new group (some returning faces too) which keeps things interesting and always active. I do so many different things in my job it is hard to explain it to people...so questions are more than welcome here! One other little tid bit...I received my pension statement the other day (funny to a 23 year old) and my projected year of retirement is 2049! Oh my is all I have to say..."oh my"!

1 comment:

Gido said...

Hey, pensions are GOOD. I know it sounds like a long ways away, but I thought 2007 was forever, Guess what, here it is. Pay attention to your pension fund. Stay informed, don't be afraid to ask questions. It is YOUR money and your future. Planning for tomorrow starts today.

Uncle Bob