Sunday, April 8, 2007

The Basics - Living Arrangements

I am currently living with my boyfriend (Bryan) at his parents house in Brandon. Not the greatest arrangement, but livable for now. Why you might ask...well we are saving to build a house next summer and paying approximately $1000 a month in rent and bills in our apartment was just not condusive to saving any money whatsoever. Needless to say we moved into the basement of Bryan's parents house sacrificing some privacy and peacefulness, but gaining some considerable funds in our savings account. Lucky for me, my inlaws (not quite since we aren't married, but that's what I refer to them as) are the most incredible people ever. Of course, everyone has their downfalls, but I can honestly say that I am one of the lucky ones. No horrific mother/father/sister/brother in-law stories from this gal. The plan is to move into an apartment again at the end of the summer (as thankful as I am, I just don't think I can take another winter with the adopted fam). Hopefully Denina (my sister) will be in Brandon by then too and she'll be our other roomy to help with rent and other bills. If all goes as planned we will start building in April of 2008! Yay! Why build you might ask...well this is again where my amazing in-laws come into play. You see Bryan's Dad is a draftsman/carpenter and is going to build it for us saving us the cost of labour and building us our dream home exactly as we want it! It's exciting and only a short year (and a lot of saving) away!

2 comments:

Gido said...

Hey, good for you guys. Building a house? Wow. Hope your relationship is strong and your bank account full. Good luck and keep us posted.

Uncle Bob

~Brandy~ said...

Yep...building! We've done a lot of homework on this...and are pretty much working things out on a continual basis. Money is being saved slowly, but surely and as for the relationship...since it's Bryan's dad doing the building (for free) I back off quite a bit. However, since it is half my money I have 4 requirements and then I "butt out".
I want:
- a nice big bath tub
- an office with a big south facing window
- a lot of counter space in the kitchen
and - a two sided walk in closet!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Keep checking me out!