Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fun at Work!

Since June 29th, Brandon University has been host to the International United Church Association. What that means for me is getting the floor plans, keys, maps, and parking passes arranged for about 85 people from all over the world. Not to mention printing and photocopying itineraries, scripts, and information sheets; running around getting personal computers connected to the residence Internet; and scrambling around unlocking doors and delivering extension cords. It sounds hectic, and believe me it is, but it is so great at the same time. There are people here from Australia, New Zealand, Czech Republic, England, Switzerland, South Korea, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, United States, Tonga, and Canada. You should see some of their names! The Tongans were in their amazing traditional dress today to do a performance for the whole group (which sadly, I did not get to see). One of the main contact people that I deal with is from New Zealand. She is baffled at the fact that in Canada we eat supper (which is what they call the snack before bed) so early in the evening (between 5 and 6) when it is still so hot outside. I guess they eat the meal that we call supper between 8 and 10 p.m. Crazy! She also thinks that it is so great that we say "No Problem" in Canada. So now everytime I say "No Problem" I think of her. I got a hug yesterday from Harold who looks like Santa Claus and has a southern accent. I found out today that he lives in Ohio, but comes from Memphis...hence the southern drawl y'all! Anyway, the whole point of this blog was just to say how great it is that we have these people here, albeit I am not religious, but the culture is amazing!

No comments: